MENTITA FRESCA SALAD
Every time I return home from traveling (I was in San Francisco last week) I CRAVE my own recipe salad creations.
There’s nothing better than homemade, healthy, filling, and super fresh - just what I love and my entire MIND, BODY & SOUL needs.
After saying that..
Are you ready? In 3,2,1 Inspired by cravings & superfoods, here is my “MENTITA FRESCA” a Mexican Quinoa Salad with avocado mint dressing just for you. SO DELICIOUS!
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (red, white or tricolor)
- 2 cups broccoli, shredded
- 1 cup can black beans (washed & drained)
- 1 cup can kernel corn (washed & drained) or 2 ears corn (kernels sliced off)
- 1/2 cup jicama (peeled and diced)
- 1 orange (segmented)
- 1 Persian cucumber, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh alfalfa
- 2 handful sliced almonds, peanuts, pepitas, cashews, etc.
- 3-4 tbsp feta or queso fresco cheese (optional) (top)
Avocado Mint Dressing:
- 1 avocado
- 1 tbsp sugar cane or raw unfiltered maple syrup
- 12 mint leaves
- 1 large lemon or 2 small limes
- 2 pinch cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup water (or more if needed)
- 1 knob of fresh ginger, peeled
- # sea salt to taste
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salad: Begin preparing quinoa first by thoroughly rinsing 1 cup quinoa in a fine mesh strainer then bringing to a boil with 2 cup water in a small saucepan. Once boiling, reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook on low for 15 minutes. (for the salad is best when quinoa is cooked ahead and left outside at room temperature).
- Assemble salad by adding broccoli at the bottom to a serving bowl or platter and topping with the rest of salad ingredients (see photos, you got two great examples)
- Dressing: In a blender (a blender is always better when comparing to a food processor for achieving a smooth texture) add ingredients for dressing except for the oil. Blend on high for 2-3 minutes or until very creamy and smooth, don’t forget to stop in between to add more water (if needed) and to scrape down sides as needed. Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more salt to taste, spicy sauce for picoso, sugar cane for sweetness, lemon juice for acidity, or more mint for a more refreshing flavor.
- Add dressing to the salad and toss to coat, or serve on the side. Best when fresh. Store salad separate from dressing if keeping for later use. Will keep in the refrigerator up to 2-3 days. Store dressing in the refrigerator 3-4 days.
- Try it at home + leave a comment + rate + share & don’t forget… “A Salad a Day will Take the Lonja Away”
I truly hope you enjoy this salad, Give it a try, comment, rate it, and tag me #cheftatipolo #saladlandMENTITA FRESCA SALAD